Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Why Ain't I Sad


My father passed away on December 3rd, 2016.  I haven't really thought about his passing too much.  However, lately he has been on the mind as my toddler of a daughter resembles my dad so much.  Everyone who interacts with her sees my father's face & mannerisms in the various cute expressions she exhibits.  Although I cherish those things, I feel guilty for not being devastated by his passing.

My first pawppy ever Lola is dying.  I love her very much and it was through her that I got myself mentally prepared for the idea of being a father to human children.  However, I can't seem to bring myself to deal with her declining health.  For some odd reason I can imagine a life without her and feel guilty that I feel that way when I see others who shutdown completely when their pets are sick or pass away.  So, I've got to ask...

...what is wrong with me?

I've watched enough 1970's & '80s television to know that everyone mourns differently.  I know that it could hit me loike a ton of bricks when I least expect it.  I'm still waiting for it to hit me for my father's passing and I'm not really into lamenting Lola's passing either.  Am I running away from my emotions?  Am I suppressing them to keep my sanity?  I don't know but I still feel very guilty regardless.

Guess I'll find out when Lola finally does meet her maker.  until then, I'll struggle with my feelings of how I should feel versus accepting what I actually feel.

No comments: