Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Don’t Count On It

The Smashing Pumpkins new DVD came out today.  I forgot to swing by a Best Buy to try to pick it up; however, I was by a LackLuster Blockbuster Video store.  I figure I'd swing by quickly, pick it up, get some popcorn, and watch the video as a family.  After parking, I notice a huge entourage of people standing outside.  There was a note on the door reading

OUR COMPUTERS ARE DOWN.  WE NEED TO REBOOT THE SYSTEM.  WE'LL REOPEN AT 3:30 PM.

I read the note at 3:47 PM   I thought out loud, "You've got to be kidding me.  Oh, we can't do any transactions because we don't have the expertise to use a regular cash register!  Our inventory will be off because we don't know how to do it without a computer!  I can't calculate sales tax! "  I am sure I oversimplified what effect the system being down is to the business but frankly I don't give a fawk. 

How many times have you tried to buy something but they couldn't sell it to you because there wasn't a bar code?  Or they scan it and it doesn't show up in the system?  Why should a company's lack of having a robust accounting system disallow me as a consumer from purchasing items? 

I call for the reinstatement for real cash registers!   I call for those people working fast food to have to actually think about dealing with real money vs. just pushing the colorful shape on the cash register that match the Happy Meal ordered!  I call for business to deal formally with their customers instead of letting the machines run their business!  THIS IS A CALL!

Currently listening:
Fore!
By Huey Lewis & the News
Release date: 2007-05-21


This was original posted on Myspace at http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=16074757&blogId=448262111

No comments: