Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day 3 In San Diego: Boogie Down Productions


We hit up the downtown area yesterday morning and viewed a number of ships they had tied up to the port there. The HMS Surprise, which was the featured in the movie Master and Commander, was there so we spent a lot of time trying to document it for the father-in-law who's a regular sailor and digs looking at these kinds of things. I even designed my own flag for my future head flagship of my fleet:



We also went aboard a decommissioned (or at least I hope it was ) Russian submarine the b-39. Being on a Russian back in the day would've sucked! It's tiny, hot, and a lot of work. The design of the sub was based on the old U-boats of WWII, thus, of course, they feel a bit bassackwards.

We went aboard a few other boats and finally decided it was time to hit the beach (after feeling a bit seasick). We went back to the hotel, got lotioned up and hit Mission Beach again. Once we got there, we rented some bodyboards to try to ride them 6' waves. I got massive amounts of rash on my chest and other areas while doing this for about 3 hours. It was a lot of fun and I think it prepped me for the rigors of the ocean for my future surf lesson.

We also experienced what it feels like to by hypothermic! YEAH! The water must've been anywhere from 60-65° F the whole time and the air temperature was about the same. We were in the water the entire time without bodysuits, and for a while, it was warmer in the water than out of it! No matter what we did to stay warm, we were freezing. I felt lethargic and everything was a chore to do. My hands were numb and I was getting the whole pins and needles feeling in my left arm while driving. It wasn't until about 3 hours later at Chevy's Mexican restaurant where I finally felt somewhat better.

We hit the hotel and tried warming up afterwards. I was zonked out and sore. More later!
Currently watching :
Garfield - A Tail of Two Kitties
Release date: 10 October, 2006

No comments: