Pages

Friday, October 12, 2007

Day 2 in San Diego: Justifying My Purpose


The Things They Make For My People

I woke up yesterday at 5:30 AM to write the previous day's blog entry. Apparently my body likes to be on Central Time still . My email inboxes were checked, and I took care of some of early morning bidnez.

I then went to the airport to pick up the wifey so we can enjoy our first vacation in almost a year. I'm glad she's with me because as much as I like to be adventurous and be on my own, it's always fun to share it with someone you care about.

We napped for a few due to the time difference and just plain exhaustion of the previous day/night. I had to get to my convention to hang out with others from my workplace (although I didn't know any of them), so, we decided to drop her off at Sea World while I kanoodled with the executives. It was a 10 minute drive from the hotel and near Mission Beach which made it incredibly convenient to kill some time...until we saw the exorbitant ticket prices of $57 a ticket! We decided to forgo that plan and instead decided to go together to my meeting.

Once we got there, the resort/meeting area was right next to the mall I had gone to look for a boardshorts previously. The wifey decided to go the mall and hang out while I attended my meeting. The meeting itself turned out to be just a small get-together with about 50 people from all over the country talking about their job roles, families, and the future of the company. I felt I made impressions on folks with jokes and hopefully engaging conversation. an hour and 45 minutes, I was outty!

We then hit up the hotel on the way to the beach. Once we got to the beach, I slowly approached the water remembering the 65° needles going into my legs the day before. I had my watershoes on and noticed that the water, for whatever reason, wasn't as cold as I thought it should be. As I approached the rolling waves, my body acclimated to the coldness and eventually I was completely in! Whoo hoo! I watched a lot of surfers trying to ride the waves and I learned stuff about the waves and what I will run into during my surf lesson (like wear a gawd damn body suit to keep your arse warm! )

I did receive a call from a corporate improvising company looking for a fill-in for a gig in Myrtle Beach, SC in the beginning of November. I was recommended by a good friend of mine in the community, thus, they're taking a chance on me (or as I see it, a sure bet ). I actually had auditioned with the guy talking to me on the phone and he remembered my audition telling me that he felt I was one of the top people there. I was incredibly flattered and humbled. He had an awesome audition as well and I felt he was a shoe-in for the positions we were both seeking. It's awesome when you have mutual, artistic respect going into a hopefully fruitful relationship!

We then went to Olive Garden and ate some din-din after the beach. We walked out and saw there was an accident scene. I blurt out my usual "Dang, somebody got shot" comment when I see lots of flashing lights. I got a flurry of dirty looks from people watching the scene. I guess it was an insensitive thing for me to say. It's something I say in Chicago all the time because every 10-15 minutes there are sirens and flashing lights going off in my 'hood. If looks could kill...

We hit the hotel and went to bed! Whoo hoo! More love to come.
Currently listening :
Superunknown
By Soundgarden
Release date: 08 March, 1994

No comments: