Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2016

My Inner SP Fan Rejoices


Just watched this:



The biggest part that caught my ear was obviously the Smashing Pumpkins news.  Corgan getting back to writing rawk songs?!  YES!  Gish/Siamese Dream era-ish sensibilities?  YES!  With Jimmy Chamberlin on the drums?!  YES!  Maybe with the original line up touring?  YES!

I've been pretty disenchanted with Billy's passion in his music over the last few years; so much so that I no longer will buy tickets to shows.  The last Chicago show they did, I just went and hung across the street while they played.  However, now, if the passion is back, I may be brought back into the flock more tightly.  I'm not expecting Gish II or Siamese Dream II but rather commitment  in his performance and solidarity in the band.  It's so hard being a Pumpkins fan all fo the time as billy always finds ways to challenge me :)  Lets hope this one pays off.

Another thing that caught my ear was the Billy finished up a solo record with my all-time favorite producer Rick Rubin.  I am not a fan at all of Billy's first solo record so normally I would write this second record off as a vanity project.  However, if he has Rick Rubin involved, I will definitely give it a chance even if it isn't SP.  Rick Rubin's sensibilities are spot on 90% of the time with artists.  If a song comes on from an artist I don't necessarily like/follow and I like it, I find out many times that Rick had a hand in doing it (ahem, Limp Bizkit's "Results May Vary").  So, that's exciting.

So, let's see what fruits come to bear in 2017!  I'm excited.

No comments: