The term is "cricket". Here's the defitinion:
- An insect (family Gryllidae) related to the grasshoppers. The male produces a characteristic rhythmical chirping sound.
- An outdoor game played on a large grass field with ball, bats, and two wickets, between teams of eleven players.
- A low stool, typically with a rectangular or oval seat and four legs splayed out.
- A euphemism for a mobile phone regardless of brand, make, and model. Phones that operate with Cricket Wireless typically are considered of cheap value as the carrier's service and features are limited in many areas across the nation. The expectation is that any phone used with Cricket Wireless will not be able to perform whatever is asked of it (texting, phone calls, picture taking, GPS directions, web browsing, etc).
For example, let's say you're about to go to a show with your friends but don't know how to get there. I would say, "Yo man...bust out cho CRICKET! Getcho CRICKET and look up how to get there, man!"
This normally illicits one of two responses.
- "Uh, it's an iPhone/Android. I don't have Cricket."
- Bust out with laughter because they get the joke.
I am sure there are plenty of folks out there with Cricket phones who are perfectly happy with them. Too bad. The phrase will continue to be pushed!