Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

I Could've Died Part 2

I decided to give myself a fever this weekend.  Apparently after running around non-stop for the last 4-5 months with shows, rehearsals, and late nights, the one day I get to take off completely was consumed with me having a fever all day...and doing nothing about it for the longest time.

In the morning I took AKV out on a doggy walk with Lola.  It was a sunny day and I felt pretty normal - until the sun hit my skin.  I felt as if somebody had decided to stick me under a heat lamp.  It thought, "Hmmm, that's weird".  We finished up our walk and I was more than happy to get back inside.  I complained to the Wifey about my condition and we  both chalked it up to a mild sunburn.

As the day wore on, my head started pounding.  At this point I felt that I was merely dehydrated from the sunburn.  I kept complaining all day and did my best to rest up.  Yet nothing really helped.  I thought an excursion out to Uncle Julio's would make me feel better and I was just miserable the entire time.

I got home from that and a minor rubdown, the Wifey decided to take my temperature.  When it read 103.4F, the thought, "Dude, you could die" popped into my head.  At this point, an action plan was put into place.  I took a relatively cold shower to get my body temperature down.  Wifey went across the street and got me Tylenol and I popped a couple of those along with some Clariton for my sinus headache.  Then the voice of Les Stroud (Survivorman) spoke to me.  He said, "Cool the blood down, Nurl."  So, I got out an ice pack from the feezer, wrapped it up in a towel, and placed it on my neck to cool down the blood flowing through the carotid arteries.  I thought, "Yeah, it's dorky, but if it works for Les in the desert, it'll work me tonight".  I slept pretty much all day off and on.  My fever broke around 9 PM and was alright for the rest of the evening.

Goes to show you.  Ignorance and pride can kill you if you're not careful.

No comments: