Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Selling A Ticket To Monopolies

With the DoJ investigating the TicketMaster/Live Nation merger, I am going to be a bit pessimistic.  When's the last time a merger has been blocked in the last 20 years in this country?  Now we're going to see ticket fees skyrocket due to this merger as they will have a monopoly.  The problem with monopolies are that those who have them can block entrance into the marketplace by others by changing the laws via extensive lobbying of lawmakers or by pressuring venues to retain exclusive-only contracts with them.  Those who do enter exclusive contracts wouldn't have a choice but to go with TM/LN as there would not be no other competitor either in existence or in the same league who can provide the services needed. 

What can be done about it?  I  have no idea.  I'd love to tell you to boycott TM/LN but like I said, they are in just about any major venue (plus I'd miss out on some acts that I love myself ).   Perhaps this is the next music industry-related area that needs to meet a force so powerful that it dies as well.


Currently listening:
Ticket To Ride
By The Beatles


Note: This was originally posted on MySpace with comments at http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=16074757&blogId=470475460

No comments: