Pages

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Explain Tupac to Me

It’s uncanny the references to Tupac I’ve witnessed this week, thus, why I’m writing this blog. Why is Tupac a legend? I bought a greatest hits collection for Tupac, have streamed tracks off his other records, and have watched documentaries on the man. He definitely had skill and came from an obtuse angle in the game with regarding some of his lyrical content. He had his own style like many a rapper do. However, do I hold him in my top 20 list of all time greatest rappers? No.

A family friend of mine tried explaining it to me the other day by asking me to view it from the vantage point of the era in which he became famous. To be candid I tuned out of the rap game because the industry betrayed me by bring a bunch of sorry arse gangsta clones to the forefront and leaving my fun loving, party oriented rap artists in the dust. Hence, why I didn’t get into Tupac, Biggie, nor any other dead rapper of the 90’s. I don’t have this perspective to work from so I only can rely on the music as a guide into the hype.

I respect that he did his thing but I can’t hold him up in such high esteem like everyone else seems to do. Somebody school me.

Currently listening :
2Pac - Greatest Hits
By 2Pac
Release date: 24 November, 1998

Note: This was originally posted on MySpace with comments at:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=16074757&blogID=372916614&Mytoken=2D45BB8C-3BF3-4564-86FC62F1AEA43E449043548

No comments: