Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Vested Interest in AI

No, I'm not talking about artificial intelligence. I'm talking about American Idol. Due to a nifty DVR, I've been watching the auditions and now the selection process for the final 24 that America will begin voting on. Why am I watching intently now? I think it has to do with the fact that I'm also auditioning for stuff on my own and I enjoy watching the performances, the judges' feedback, and the reactions of those auditioning. I feel a kindred spirit with these folks that I didn't before.

One of the things I found interesting was how a lot of contestants claimed that if they didn't make it through, they would give up their dreams in music or singing. The perceive that it's the end of the world and they would never get another opportunity to pursue their dreams. In certain auditions I place a bit of weight on achieving my goal. If I show basically with a care-free mentality, truly feeling free from the outcome of the audition, typically the audition goes very well. However, if any gravity is put into caring about the outcome, the audition goes awry or the outcome doesn't become what I would like it to be. The truth is there will always be opportunities for all of us to continue pursuing our goals and dreams. Its just another moment in the string of life to experience and learn from.

I found myself feeling the elation and sadness along with each of the contestants as they found out whether or not they made it. It's nice to be connected to a part of myself to allow me to connect with others.

Currently listening :
So Far So Good
By Bryan Adams
Release date: 09 November, 1993

No comments: