Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Run D.M.C. In the Rock N' Roll Hall Of Fame?

I'm the king of rock, there is none higher
Sucker MC's should call me sire
To burn my kingdom, you must use fire
I won't stop rockin' till I retire!
- Kings of Rock, Run D.M.C.

Some of the best lines ever put on wax came from Run D.M.C.  They are legends in their own right and contributed to the best of what rap has to offer.  They were pioneers in their use of using rock samples in their music and got mainstream acclaim with their rendition of Aerosmith's Walk This Way.  Any hip-hop affectionado will be challenge to dismiss the importance of Run D.M.C.

With that said...

They do not deserve to be in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame (RnRHoF).  Sorry.  I fail to see their contribution to Rock N' Roll to be great enough to be in the RnRHoF.  Hip-Hop Hall of Fame (HHHoF), yes! They deserve to be there 100 times over.  If their nomination is solely for Walk This Way, then the REALLY don't deserve to be in RnRHoF.  Is there any way I can see the nomination criterion?

You would never see Ozzy Osbourne be inducted into the HHHoF even though he provided the backdrop for Trick Daddy's biggest crunk hit Let's Go.  I'm all for diversity and open-mindedness, but if we're going to throw labels on things we're suppose to revere, then Run D.M.C needs to walk that way...leaving Cleveland empty handed.

Yeah.  It's like that and that's the way it is.  HUH!


Currently listening:
Run-D.M.C. - Greatest Hits
By Run Dmc
Release date: 2002-09-10

No comments: