Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Year of the Wii

I'm one of the lucky ones. I received my Wii back in September for my birfday (when they were still hard to find), and have enjoyed it ever since. This Christmas seems to be the Year of the Wii (vs. the year of the rat or the dog or even the flying elephant) as people are killing each other's pocketbooks to make a profit off the gaming consoles by standing in a queue for hours early each morning to snatch them up for $250 USD (which is like what now... 25€(euro) ? ), and then mark them up to $400-$600 (27€) and sell them on Craigslist and e-Bay. The funny thing is, people are buying them at that price. These are crack prices for gaming consoles!

Wii-crack heads have been calling me up to buy my console for the same price I paid for it. Talk about a free market system here. I could be a damn vulture and rip these people off by marking up the price, but I won't do that. I just get more satisfaction of saying "No, I'm keeping it. Thanks" and seeing their hope fade away... No, but seriously, I want to know what our presidential candidates are going to do about this.

"Mr. Obama. I couldn't get my kid a Nintendo Wii this Christmas due to an artifically created shortage by the Ninetendo corporation, console scalping, and lead paint in toys from China that normally would keep people away from these gems of gaming engineering. What are you going to do about it?!!

Currently playing :
Wii
Release date: 19 November, 2006

Note: This was originally posted on MySpace with comments at:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=16074757&blogID=340426360&Mytoken=AD25DE5F-74B8-462F-8BED6121821C8D9811524246

No comments: