Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Enfrentando Un Miedo Grande En Mi Vida

I've been asked to read some Spanish on-camera tomorrow. Not a lot of people know this but I am very uncomfortable with my Spanish. I grew up in Texas where early on in the household I was forced to assimilate and learn English. My Spanish is rather rudimentary at times, and since I don't really use it a whole lot in my daily life, it seems to slip a bit. I get embarrassed easily and shy when I'm around a lot of Spanish speakers.

Well, time to confront it head on. I know that deep down inside the skills are there. They came out once in an extraordinary way when I got married in Cancun. The second the wheels of the plane touched the ground, I was at ease with the language and spoke it as if I'd spoken it forever. I even spoke to my parents in Spanish the entire time which I hardly ever really do. The second we left, it went back to where it was. I found it rather strange that my fear was so strong that not only it affected my voice but it also affected my social and linguistic skills. It seems that when I'm submersed in it, I have no choice but to be good with it.

I had a right mind to call the agency and squirm my way out of it, but, no, I am going to go to this audition and do the best I can. The worst thing that can happen is that I don't get the part, and I get a bit of admonishment. I told myself two years ago I wouldn't allow fear to keep me away from an audition, and I'm not going to start now.

Currently reading :
Spanish I - 2nd Rev. Ed.: Learn to Speak and Understand Spanish with Pimsleur Language Programs (Comprehensive)
By Pimsleur
Release date: 01 April, 2002

Note: This was originally posted on MySpace with comments at:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=16074757&blogID=326801820&Mytoken=5466A367-4928-442C-8754A3A6F778202710565802

No comments: