Pages

Monday, July 9, 2007

Man...A GPS Unit Would REALLY Come In Handy Here!

I just finished watching Season 1 of Lost last week. I had voided watching it due to my initial feelings of hating something that is incredibly popular just because it's popular, i.e., Vanilla Ice in 1990. So, to allow it to be viewed upon its own merits, I decided to wait until now to begin watching it (I have yet to see Pulp Fiction because of the same logic ).

My interest in the show stemmed from the show Brazilian Wax Museum. There was a skit where me and a few others were on a raft drifting at sea and are contemplating cannibalism. We had a box of rations (protein bars) with "DHARMA Initiative" written on the side. I never really got the joke. All I knew was that it was a reference to Lost and left it at that. Later on I decided to look up the DHARMA stuff and found a wealth of knowledge online. It was totally conceived right up my alley. I like a lot of dystopian, government/society-vs-one-man-to-change-the-world type stories. 1984 is one of my all-time favorite books while THX-1138 is one of my all-time favorite movies that harbor this concept. Lost fit this mold, hence, I was incredibly interested in watching the show.

I have to admit that it's a very well put together series. It mixes science, religion, fear, tribalism, racism, prejudices, medicine, and herbalism with personal struggle and growth with multiple storylines that occur in different moments in time. Each storyline enriches the depth of the characters and supplies different viewpoints on the actions going on the island. It seems to me they spent a lot doing research on the culturalisms of the different folks on the island, thus, making the stories even more interesting. Although I've read the episode synopses for all three seasons, watching them is still quite enjoyable.

Well, onto Season 2!

Currently reading :
1984
By George Orwell
Release date: November, 2004

Note: This was originally posted on MySpace with comments at:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=16074757&blogID=285597519&Mytoken=88EFC2C9-1EA7-495B-9FC39AA4E8750BDE21982157

No comments: