Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Bad Usage of Colloquialisms

Every time this commercial comes on, I shake my head.



The one part where she says "Sales are flatulent" kills me. Per Webster's dictionary, flatulent is defined as:

Main Entry: flat·u·lent
Pronunciation: -l&nt
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French, from Latin flatus act of blowing, wind, from flare to blow -- more at BLOW
1 a : likely to cause gas b : marked by or affected with gas generated in the intestine or stomach
2 : pompously or portentously overblown
- flat·u·lent·ly adverb

I believe she should've said "Sales are flaccid" or "Sales are stagnant" (put flaccid and stagnant together and you could derive flatulent). Yes, I realize it's a commercial, but boy does it drive me nuts watching it. I just can't turn away!
Currently watching :
Star Trek Voyager - The Complete Seasons 1-7
Release date: 21 December, 2004

No comments: