Pages

Friday, May 18, 2007

Like A Spider, They Crawl On Back

My two American Idols Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain, collectively known as the Smashing Pumpkins, have released a full-version of their current radio single "Tarantula".


Tarantula - Smashing Pumpkins


Nice, rollicking type song. I like how it sounds like an extension of Zwan's grand choruses while retaining the specialness of the Pumpkins Wall-O'-Sound specialness. Jimmy, of course, is my man and he beats the skins fantastically in his groove-oriented way as usual.

However, I've gotta admit that I'm a bit disappointed in Billy's singing. Yes, I am aware that BC is not much of a singer and never really has been, but even I grow tired of that whine that became more prevalent post Siamese Dream/pre-MCIS. It was a sign to me that Billy just didn't really care about his own singing enough to try to mature more into his voice. That's what marked the end of the Pumpkins for me. Now that they're mounting a comeback, I expected a bit more out of his voice. I do hear the passion in this one track a la Zwan, but I am a little wary of the next song to be released. I reserve final judgement once I get the entire Zeitgeist record.

Any thoughts?
Currently listening :
Memorial
By Moonspell
Release date: 25 April, 2006

No comments: