Pages

Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Kryptonite to the Movie Watching Experience

I went to go see Superman Returns this weekend. Superman is faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, and be mistaken for birds and planes. However, he is unable to have enough dialogue to thwart the whispering diatribes of a gaggle of 14 year old girls watching a movie together.

These girls apparently couldn't adhere to the finer rules of watching movies like:
1. Turning off your cellphone during the movie (or at least putting it on vibrate)
2. Avoiding text messgaing their friend sitting next to them in the theater. When they all have T-Mobile Sidekicks, it's like a portable plasma screen in a darken theater.
3. Shutting the fawk up during the movie and just enjoying it for what it was.


SPOILER ALERT
If you haven't seen the movie and don't want to know what happens, continue reading from LESSON LEARNED?!


During the scenes where there was a lot of silence in the dialogue, I heard these girls whisper loudly stuff like:

During the scene where Superman is hospitalized after saving Metropolis:
"I THINK THAT BOY IS SUPERMAN'S SON..."
"SHE WHISPERED TO SUPERMAN THAT SHE LOVES HIM"

When Superman is standing over his son in Lois' house with a loving look on his face:
"OOH! WHAT A CREEP! I'D BE CREEPED OUT IF A GUY WAS STANDING OVER ME."


During the entire movie whenever Superman was featured:
"OH MY GAWD! HE IS SOOOOOOO CUTE!"


I was annoyed because the sound system in the theater couldn't drown out these comments. I make comments during a film myself but I really try to keep others in mind when I make them cuz they spent the same $9.50 I did. So, I shushed these girls a few times in vain and got them to be quiet for brief periods of time.

LESSON LEARNED?!
Basically, I've learned that if you REALLY want to watch a movie, pick a movie and a theater that caters to the type of audience you think is conducive to your style of movie watching. SR is a kids movie (I used the term kid loosely as in kids in their traditional sense and obnoxious adults that have no regard for other people's movie watching experiences) and I should thought of that before going. The best time to go see a kids movie is when they're all at school...but, I guess I have to work, huh?


Currently listening :
Sweatsuit
By Nelly
Release date: By 22 November, 2005

Note: This was originally posted on MySpace with comments at:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&FriendID=16074757&blogMonth=7&blogDay=2&blogYear=2006

No comments: