Pages

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Thank you J.B.!

If you clicked on the link thinking I was going to serenade an alcoholic beverage, you don't know me at all!

Actually, I am thanking my man Jason Bell, a fellow trumpeteer who introduced me to a band that I hated with a passion back in the day...

See, my freshman year of high school was full of a lot of experiences like girls...cars...band camp...girls...marching...girls...and the occasionaly rap vs. rock debate I had with everybody. In the 8th grade, I kinda made a name for myself for being a self-proclaimed musical prodigy (first chair trumpet player...DIG IT!) and I was heavily into rap thanks to Young M.C.'s Stone Cold Rhymin' debut. I was destined to be a great rapper at the time in my mind and made sure I was on top of the scene. The scene to me, of course, consisted of very old school rappers, unpopular or unheard of records, and basically everyone not on Yo MTV Raps! thanks to my parents subjugating me to an adolescent life of terrestial television. Since I knew everything there was to know at that age, I knew rap (not hip-hop) was the best musical art form in the world! Until one day...

At lunch time, freshmen were not allowed to go off-campus to grab a meal unlike everyone else (I still to this day don't know what made parents/faculty think that being a year older as a sophmore would give me a bigger sense of responsibility to not act a fool once off campus...many a mailbox suffered cruel deaths thanks to sophmores getting their delinquency rocks off during lunch). However, one upper-classman, hooked me and another freshman up with a ride to the mecca of all fast food - McDonalds! We all piled into his Grand Cherokee, kept our heads down as he drove off campus, and celebrated wildly as he drove around at our short-lived freedom. The coolest thing about J was that he had a CD player in his car which at the time was REALLY cool. In the deck he had a wildly known record known as Blood Sugar Sex Magik playing. I didn't know who the artist was but I was totally digging the rapping the guy was doing and the basslines. We listened to half the record and I kept in mind how good the record sounded to me. The production was impeccable and the sound was tight. I was mortified to find out this sonic masterpiece was by the Red Hot Chili Peppers; the same band that all the jocks, preppies, and utter assholes I knew at school were listening to was that same one I was bobbing my head to in the car! At that moment, my horizons opened up a little bit larger.

The reason I thought of all of this was because I was rolling in the MoMo (Murano) and a song from BSSM came on and I rocked out to it reminiscing about old times. So, thanks J for hooking me up with the Chili Peppers and inadvertantly turning me onto a style of music I would grow to play and love.

Currently listening :
Blood Sugar Sex Magik
By Red Hot Chili Peppers
Release date: By 24 September, 1991

No comments: