Pages

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Global Unifer

Most people who know me well know that I'm not much into sports. The only Chicago-based team I like is the MLS favorites the Chicago Fire. My affinity for soccer (or should I say futbol ) stems from a few places such as my heritage, the simplicity of the game, or the fact I played it for 3 years as a kid. Therefore, every 4 years is a lot of fun for me because I get to live out the life a sports fan for 3 weeks and talk a lot of smack just like most guys do after their team loses against somebody.

This year has been more fun because I deal with a lot of Europeans at work. There's nothing cooler than getting into a meeting and trading our thoughts on the World Cup for the first 15-20 minutes! That's why we're the biggest computer company in the world! Globalization in all aspects. I love defending the US team against it's European critics on these calls:

"Ehhhhh....zeh Amerikahn team....eeehhhhhhhhh....zay are not gon' to ween because ehhhhhhhh....sock-uh eez not az popoolah az eet eez in Europe...and zeh team needs more ehhhhhhhhhh....time to get more experiance.....zat is wut I zink."

Calls go so much more smoothly after hashing out the effects of temperature on the ball after being kicked 2000 times. Very cool. Glad we can all come together on something at least once every 4 years.

Currently listening :
Soccer Hits
By Groove Machine
Release date: By 24 February, 2006

No comments: