Pages

Friday, May 19, 2006

Recent Records

I've been staying young by checking out new records that are coming out. Here's a list of stuff I've checked out:

Rebel Meets Rebel - Rebel Meets Rebel
This is the recent collaboration of the Cowboys From Hell minus Phil Anselmo hooking up with country outlaw David Allen Coe, who was the guy who wrote "Take This Job and Shove It", to put a metal twist on some original country songs. It took them about 10 years to finish up all these tracks as wthey were done in between Pantera/DamagePlan sessions.

Overall, a pretty cool record. I like Dime's playing on this since it's a bit more melodic and memorable. The recording is also really good cuz I can actually hear the bass this time instead of guessing it's there like some of the Pantera records. DAC's singing fits the stylings given.the fact he's not "metal". I would recommend this to anybody looking for something fun to listen to. The song that sticks out for me is "Cowboys Do More Dope" cuz it's funny.

Nick Lachey - What's Left of Me
I know what you are thinking: "Nelson, I know you're a puss, but, dude, for real...Nick Lachey?!" Yes. I decided to give it a chance for a few reasons:

1. I know the guy can actually sing thanks to his multiple MTV shows, therefore, he's not a product of the Antares Corporation a la Brittney.
2. Of course I am curious to hear and relate this record to his breakup with Jessica.
3. I was curious how a former Degree would do in a world that has moved on from boy-bands.

The record as a whole well-crafted but every song sounds the same. The record overall is melancholy and a bit depressing. The best track on it is "Outside Looking In" whcih seems to have the most movemt out of all the tracks.

I wouldn't buy this record, but, I can see how fans of Nick could buy it. If you are into getting emotional (read that as "sad") , this record is excellent for that. If you want to hearsome excellent singing, it's also a good record for that as well as he seems to connect very well with the material.

Hoobastank - Every Man For Himself
Hands down an excellent record. From top to bottom, there are things to listen for; from well-sung, catchy choruses to FX driven blips and bloops sprinkled through each track, this record is definitely more adventerous from their last release "The Reason". The record starts off with "The Rules", which has Drill Sargeant Dale Guy barking off a storm of statements and cadences, which sets the mood for the entire record as being hardcore and real. Too many good songs for me to pick just one. Just go out and pick it up.

Ashley Parker Angel - Sountrack To Your Life
I did catch bits and pieces of his MTV show and know nothing of his O-Town participation. The entire record has pop/punk songs with boy-band type singing going on over it. It's well-crafted and recorded, but, it suffers a little bit from having every track sound the same APA can sing and I do respect his rags to riches to rags to normalcy trip and taking everyone along for the ride via MTV. But, this record is a bit too safe for my taste, but it's a good start for him to jump off from and hopefully get a bit more adventurous in future endevours.

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
Nice to hear them getting into rocking a bit more than their last 2 albums. I wish it was as stellar as their "Yield" record. It stands on its own as they seem to be bringing in a good clash of Vedder's punk tendencies and McCready/Gossard's '70s riffing and noodling. I need to listen to it a bit more since I have been hoping for a follow up to Yield and have been disappointed by their last two studio outings and their live shows as of late. Overall, I'd pick it up if it was on sale.

Ivorywire - Notables and Nobody's
Ivorywire's latest and last record N&N is excellently crafted. It's a "happier" record than their "The World Is Flat" record and the songwriting reflects a lot of thought placed into those songs. The production on the record is inspiring due to good tracking, mixing, and mastering. Too bad it's their last record (for now). The best track on it for me right now is "Wearing a Wire". Good job, Chuck.

Currently listening :
Rebel Meets Rebel
By Rebel Meets Rebel
Release date: By 02 May, 2006

No comments: