Pages

Monday, March 20, 2006

The Importance of Being Redundant

With me being an IT guy, one would think that I would have mastered the art of backing up all my data. But this wouldn't be the great post it is without some sort of calamity occuring, correct?

I was working on some studio tracks when all of a sudden the drive I was working with stopped responding. This had happened before in the past so I thought nothing of it. For some reason, I had thought the computer would stop recognizing it due to the external chassis I had the drive in. However, this time, it was different. I turned the drive off/on multiple times, changed cables, and even changed chassises to no avail :( I took the drive out and give a few taps hoping that the heads were just magnetized, thus, would loosen up long enough for me to pull the data off. No such luck would be granted to me. The drive is gone.

So, all the data from my studio is now on its way to Highland, IL to hopefully be recovered at a very expensive cost (between $300-$1400). The good news is that I get a free external 60 Gb harddrive when they return the data. Whoo hoo. I am thrilled. So, that goes to tell us all that backing up your data and being religious about it is worth the time and hassle (hoff)! Unless of course you like to spend a lot of money trying to get your data back!

Gonna make a movie called Broke Drive in 60 Seconds...

Currently listening :
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
By Various Artists - Soundtrack
Release date: By 05 December, 2000

Note: This was originally posted on MySpace with comments at:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&FriendID=16074757&blogMonth=3&blogDay=20&blogYear=2006

No comments: