Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2006

The Sound of Crickets is the Sound of Applause...

I went to Hoghead's last night hoping to find a new crowd of people to do my new material. I showed up around 9 PM to sign up and got slot #5. Cool, I was guaranteed to not go on at midnight. I saw a few of the same comics I normally see at the open mics but a lot of fresh faces too. So, that was nice. However, the room was pretty much just full of comedians, thus, making the job to get laughs 3-full.

Every comic that went up went down just as quickly with chuckles. What is it about us comics that doesn't let us laugh at jokes from other comics at an open mic? It's really dumb. There were some real good jokes out there I did laugh at but the majority of us were being pretty quiet. I wonder if it's ego, the fact we've probably heard these acts before, we're all tired...maybe we're just all a-holes! LOL.

I busted out my new material and completed it. I even did a little bit of improv by adjusting my introduction jokes to the venue and the crowd. They all elicited laughs and chuckles. Perhaps I'll get a chance to go out Friday night to BW3 with a more receptive crowd.

No comments: